Home   News   Article

Woman convinced abuser 'would come back and kill her', Highland court told as thug awaits sentence

By Ali Morrison

Sheriff Ian Cruickshank heard the case at Inverness Sheriff Court.
Sheriff Ian Cruickshank heard the case at Inverness Sheriff Court.

AN offshore worker domestically abused five different partners over a period of 11 years in Easter Ross, Inverness and Aberdeen.

Daniel Sharratt-Dye, now of New Row, Bradford, West Yorkshire, appeared at Inverness Sheriff Court and admitted a total of seven charges, including five assault and two of a sustained course of abusive conduct.

Sentence was deferred until December 12 for a background report and a restriction of liberty order assessment.

The offences took place at properties in Teandallon Place, Balconie Steading and Glenglass Place, Evanton; a farm cottage in Swordale; Diriebught Road, Inverness; Aberdeen Exhibition Centre; an unknown hotel in Edinburgh and on the A9 between January 29, 2010 and November 30, 2021.

Sheriff Ian Cruickshank heard that Sharratt-Dye's first and second victims had been grabbed round the neck after arguments with the second woman being pinned to the floor for several minutes in the Inverness property. She also had her necklace ripped off her neck in the Aberdeen Exhibition Centre after she received a text message.

Fiscal depute Robert Weir said the third victim and Sharratt-Dye had been in a relationship for around six months.

"He would push her on the body, towards walls and on occasion pin her to a wall. He regularly threw items at her such as ketchup bottles and glass tumblers but they did not strike her.

"On a weekend trip to Edinburgh, he became aggressive towards her, , seized her by the body, pushed her on a bed, pinning her arms above her head and by the legs by straddling her and then head-butted her. He then let her up and was apologetic."

Mr Weir said the fourth victim was twice in a relationship with the accused from August 2012 to May 2013 and September 2015 and April 2016.

"During the later period, he became verbally and physically abusive towards her," Mr Weir said he swore at her, called her "skinny", a "slut", "paranoid" and a "freak", repeatedly threatening her with violence and throwing objects at her at an address in Evanton.

"The distress was to the extent that she was absolutely convinced that he would come back and kill her she was just so scared of him," Mr Weir added.

Referring to the fifth woman, Mr Weir said they had been in a relationship for six years and broke up in November, 2021.

They had moved from the USA to Evanton where much of the abuse took place, telling her to stop using his credit card, sending her threatening messages to punch her, leave her and levelling accusations against her.

Mr Weir went on: "He would regularly throw items at her such as an iPad, a glass of water and plates of food. He would regularly refer to her as a 'f...ing loser' and became angry when she was contacted by any males.

"When she received a phone call from a former partner, believed to be dialled in error, he became aggressive. He repeatedly punched her on the head, face and body, knocked her to the ground and he straddled her and started to strangle her."

He went on: "She got free and was called back by the 999 system, realising she must have called them in the moment but couldn't recall."

Sharratt-Dye's bail was continued.

View our fact sheet on court reporting here

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More